Sergeant Joseph Frank Thompson 1877 - 1973
Joseph served for eight years in the Royal Sussex Regiment and four years on the Reserve.
Two months after the outbreak of the Great War (July 1914) he joined the Rifle Brigade and, by then holding the rank of Sergeant, he was sent out to India on January 11th 1916.
He is pictured above, the left of the two seated figures.
In a letter to the Herts and Cambs Reporter the four servicemen in the photograph, one another local man from Royston, said that they were “happy in the knowledge that although parted from their wives and families they are doing their little bit to help Britain win this war.”
Further details are on the Meldreth Local History Group’s website:
- 11th Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment (243)
- Hidden Stories (22)
- Memorials and monuments (39)
- Peace and peace celebrations (11)
- Soldiers – before, during and after the war (242)
- Families and War (49)
- Highlights (32)
- Total War (28)
- Behind the Lines (120)
- Women and the Great War (34)
- Music, art, culture and the Great War (19)