Frank ham, William John. Lance Corporal 3/8709 of 11th Battalion of the Suffolks. Reported missing 3rd August 1916. From Longstowe.
Frankham, William John 1896-1916
Born in Longstowe, William John Frankham is recorded In the 1911 census, at the age of 15, as living in Longstowe and working as a ploughman. He was living with his parents Mary Agatha Frankham and Alfred Frankham, a stockman, together with six siblings.
He enlisted in Cambridge and served as a Lance Corporal, 3/8709, in the 11th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment. He served in France and Flanders, was reported missing on 3rd August 1916 and subsequently assumed to have been killed in action. He is commemmorated on the Thiepval memorial, Somme.
CreatorCopyright British Newspaper Archive, Cambridge Independent Press
Date of coverage1916
- 11th Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment (243)
- Hidden Stories (22)
- Memorials and monuments (39)
- Peace and peace celebrations (11)
- Soldiers – before, during and after the war (230)
- Families and War (49)
- Highlights (32)
- Total War (28)
- Behind the Lines (120)
- Women and the Great War (34)
- Music, art, culture and the Great War (19)